Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Free Consultation 201-254-9925

My child was arrested by the police and he's under the age of 18 years old, what is going to happen to him?


In New Jersey, juvenile courts have exclusive jurisdiction over claims that a child has committed a delinquent act. Juvenile Courts are held in the Superior Court - Family Division.

What is a Delinquent Act?

A delinquent act is an act that would be a crime if committed by an adult.  So in New Jersey, any crimes that are indictable or disorderly persons if committed by an adult would be delinquent acts.  However, in New Jersey, motor vehicle offenses will be heard in Municipal Court.  New Jersey maintains transfer statutes that define when a youth may or must be tried in criminal court, and if convicted, sentenced as an adult. So if a juvenile is charged with delinquent acts, it may be heard in Superior Court Law Division.  

Contact Us Today!

Call (201) 254-9925 around the clock for your free consultation with a proven criminal defense lawyer in Passaic County!

David L. Pine, Esq.
201-796-9408 (fax)
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Sat: 09:00am - 12:00pm