Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
Free Consultation (973) 427-7444

The police just stopped me in my vehicle, what do I do?

Do I have to provide anything to the police if I'm stopped driving my car?

Yes.  If you are stopped by the police, you must provide proper and valid identification, that includes a driver's license, registration for the vehicle, and proof that the car is insured. 

All drivers in New Jersey must provide proof of insurance when operating any vehicle. Failure to do so can result in hefty fines and suspension. Having insurance is just as important as having a title on your car or registering it with the MVC. Your insurance company must issue you a paper or electronic New Jersey Insurance Identification Card for each vehicle under your policy. N.J.S.A. 39:3-29. 

In New Jersey, the insurance identifiction card may be displayed or provided in either paper or electronic form.  For these purposes, "electronic form" means the display of images on an electronic device, such as a celular telephone, tablet or computer.  Paper insurance card specifications have not changed.  Failure to present the card or electronic form may result in fines.  Driving an uninsured vehicle may result in fines, community service, license suspension and insurance surcharges.

Contact Us Today!

Call (973) 427-7444 around the clock for your free consultation with a proven criminal defense lawyer in Passaic County!

David L. Pine, Esq.
(973) 735-2381 (fax)
Mon: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Tue: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Wed: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Thu: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Fri: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Sat: 09:00am - 12:00pm